ISC High Performance attendees can look forward to a number of prestigious awards that recognize research excellence in high performance computing.
RESEARCH PAPER AWARDS
The following awards will be given to outstanding research papers submitted to the conference:
HANS MEUER AWARD
The Hans Meuer Award honors the most outstanding research paper submitted to the conference’s Research Papers Committee. This award has been introduced in the memory of the late Dr. Hans Meuer, general chair of the ISC conference from 1986 through 2014, and co-founder of the TOP500 project.
From all submitted research papers, the Research Papers Committee will select the overall best paper for the award. The winner will be announced at the ISC High Performance Tuesday Keynote Session and will be given the opportunity to present a keynote talk on their work in one of the research paper sessions. The winner will also receive a cash prize of 5,000 Euros, an award certificate, and a free conference pass for ISC High Performance in 2019.
The two papers selected as the finalists for the Hans Meuer Award at ISC 2018 are:
- Chebyshev Filter Diagonalization on Modern Manycore Processors and GPGPUs by Moritz Kreutzer, Dominik Ernst, Alan R. Bishop, Holger Fehske, Georg Hager, Kengo Nakajima, and Gerhard Wellein
- Compiler-assisted Source-to-Source Skeletonization of Application Models for System Simulation by Jeremiah J. Wilke, Joseph P. Kenny, Samuel Knight, and Sebastien Rumley
The Gauss Award is sponsored by the German Gauss Center for Supercomputing, which is a collaboration of the German national supercomputing centers at Garching, Jülich and Stuttgart.
The winner will receive a cash prize of 3,000 Euros, courtesy of the Gauss Center, which will be presented by Professor Michael Resch, chairman of the Gauss Award Committee, during the ISC Opening Session. The award winner will also have the opportunity to present a keynote talk on their paper during one of the research paper sessions.
The paper selected as the winner of the Gauss Award at ISC 2018 is:
On the Accuracy and Usefulness of Analytic Energy Models for Contemporary Multicore Processors by Johannes Hofmann, Georg Hager, and Dietmar Fey
PHD FORUM AWARD
After the PhD Forum poster session, the PhD Forum Program Committee will elect one student to receive the "ISC 2018 PhD Forum Award”. The award is sponsored by Springer, the international publisher specializing in science, technology and medicine. The winner receives a high-end tablet and a 250 € book voucher from Springer.
The presentation selected as the winner of the PhD Forum Award at ISC 2018 is: Mixed precision multi-level approach for FFTs by Malte Brunn.
RESEARCH POSTER AWARDS
The ISC Research Poster Awards will be given to outstanding research posters submitted to the conference.
The ISC Research Posters Committee will evaluate the short presentations and research posters on-site and select one winner in each of the seven main submission categories as listed in the call for research papers: 1) Architectures & Networks; 2) Data, Storage & Visualization; 3) HPC Applications; 4) HPC Algorithms; 5) Programming Models & Systems Software; 6) Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning; 7) Performance Modeling & Measurement.
The seven ISC Research Poster Award winners will receive a cash prize of 300 Euro and a certificate each. The ISC Research Poster Awards are sponsored by the conference organizers.
The following Research Posters were selected to receive the 2018 Awards.
- Architectures & Networks: Can Unified-Memory support on Pascal and Volta GPUs enable Out-of-Core DNN Training? by Poster Authors Ammar Ahmad Awan, Ching-Hsiang Chu, Hari Subramoni, Xiaoyi Lu, Dhabaleswar K. Panda
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning: A Deep Learning Tool for fast Simulation by Poster Author Sofia Vallecorsa
- HPC Algorithms: GPU-accelerated Simulation of Elastic Wave Propagation by Poster Authors Kristian Kadlubiak, Jiří Jaroš, Bradley Treeby
- HPC Algorithms: Using GPU's FP16 Tensor Cores Arithmetic to Accelerate Mixed-Precision Iterative Refinement Solvers and Reduce Energy Consumption by Poster Authors Azzam Haidar, Stan Tomov, Ahmad Abdelfattah, Mawussi Zounon, Jack Dongarra
- HPC Applications: Deep Learning Hardware Accelerates Fused Discontinuous Galerkin Simulations by Poster Authors Alexander Heinecke, Alexander Breuer, Junyi Qiu, Yifeng Cui
- Performance Modeling & Measurement: Cross-architectural Modelling of Power Consumption Using Neural Networks by Poster Authors Milos Puzovic, Eun Kyung Lee, Vadim Elisseev
- Programming Models & Systems Software: HuronFS : Hierarchical, User-level and On-demand Burst Buffer File System by Poster Authors Tianqi Xu, Kento Sato, Satoshi Matsuoka